Sunday, October 21, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Some of you may have noticed my lack of Facebook participation within the past week and the fact that I didn’t blog. Earlier this week, we lost our sweet Lola rat. And truthfully, it has been really tough on me. Some of you may be thinking, why? Why are you upset about a pet rat? Well, the answer is, I don’t really care if you think it is stupid. She was more than just a pet rat. She was a member of our family.

Looking back, working at a place that sells animals was probably not the wisest thing for me to do nor was choosing a pet with a life expectancy of two years. But I really didn’t have a choice in either matters. Anyways, Lola came to us via my animal collecting skills. I had always wanted a pet rat. My mother hates small critters, so growing up, I was never allowed to have them. And as most of you know, keeping something from me only makes me want it more. So, years later, I purchased my Lola rathead in August 2010. Check out this other blog post for more about Lola and one of my fondest memories of her.
When we got home from the weekend at the cabin, we checked on all the critters like we normally do. Craig checked on Lola and gave her a small piece of cheese. Lola grabbed it furiously as she always does, and Craig jokingly said, “I don’t know about Lola but there’s a shark in there.” However, the following morning, she was not doing well. She just lied there in her cage not moving about much. I lifted her igloo and found the uneaten cheese which is unheard of as well as a little piece of macaroni that I gave her the night before.

I picked her up out of her cage and she said “hello” with her sweet little squeak. She was visibly thinner and her skin would tent due to dehydration. Her breathing effort was increased. This was not good. I sat with her wrapped in a warm towel practically all day. I attempted to syringe feed water and flavored antibiotics to her. She resisted both. I cried many times this day, and I stayed up late with her knowing that when I had to say goodnight, it would probably be the last time.

I woke up early the next morning with a knot in my stomach. I didn’t want to find her dead. I slunk out of bed and found my Lola just lying outside the towel that I left her in next to the mini heater I set up for her. Her breathing was still labored, but she was still responsive. This wasn’t fair. I was not going to let her go through another day like this. Not after all of the memories and love she gave to us. I couldn’t make her do this another day. So, I decided to humanely euthanize her.

As a vet, I am all too familiar with this scenario. As an owner, I am as well. We had to have our kitty, Sugar, put to sleep on February 12th after days of trying to jump start her failed kidneys with IV fluids and every type of diuretic there is. Sugar came to us by way of adoption, as do most of my pets. The day I saw her, and I just knew she would be a part of our family. Just like I did with Bella and Asher. Sugar was a unique and quite perfect feline in my eyes. She acted more like a dog than any cat would dream of. She loved to be in the same room as us at all times. She played fetch very well. She even sat and would sit pretty on command for a treat. There were so many enduring qualities and unique behaviors she did that made her the light of our lives. Craig, who strongly disliked cats, fell head over heels for this friendly feline. Even though her blood values were off the charts and I’m sure she felt like crap, she was still so sweet during her intensive care stay at the ER and right up to the moment I watched the light leave her beautiful blue eyes. I was completely devastated. I still think about her often and tears well up as they are now. And now, I’ve had to revisit this feeling of despair once more.
 
I have helped many people and their pets with this situation. Putting a pet to sleep is never an easy decision whether warranted or not. Losing a member of your family is something that inevitably happens to everyone. Whether human or animal, the pain is great and something that we all share. And for me, it’s devastating. So please, the next time you learn of someone loosing a pet, show sympathy. You never will know how much that pet, big or small, meant to someone, and you too will be there one day.

Godspeed my babies, I love you and will see you again!
Love, Your Mommy

Watch this video of Lola and Sugar sharing some yogurt, makes me smile every time

No comments:

Post a Comment